[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 12:29:20 -0800

Someone on Facebook asked me whether jews duel.  I've no expertise in the
matter.  I'd think they may be held back, just like you and me, by the
disastrous sword harvest of '03.  In 5254-5, however, there's evidence of a
Polish rabbi, arriving to fight with a whip-like weapon made from a thousand
split hairs.  Whether he beat orthodoxy, air, or some real opponent is
unfortunately not recorded.

History shows that the first Telstar commercial satellite was knocked out of
action by a U.S. hydrogen bomb test in July of '62.  The missile was launched
from eight hundred miles west of Hawaii.  Americans were aiming at doughnuts in
the Van Allen belts.  The upshot of the rocket launch was a realization that
you could either have satellites or testing in space, not both. Thought two was
that redundancy needs to be built into our communication systems because
they're vulnerable to a powerful pulse that fritzes their bits.  Discussing
these weighty matters, we laymen lay in the jacuzzi and came by roundabout
route to biological redundancy: why is it that we have two of some things but
only one of others?  Two kidneys, two testicles, two ovaries, two feet, two
eyes, two nostrils, but only one liver, vagina, heart, penis.  We were of one
mind on one thing, agreeing that two penises might be awkward.  For those of us
who lack hairy tops, some additional redundancy of scalp surface, or doughnutty
missile defense system might be nice.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

(On the missile test see Alex Boese, "Electrified Sheep," p. 129)