[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:30:38 -0700

Great chieftan o' the pudding race,
you with the honest Sonsie face
(and thus far in life a sufficiency of swiftness
for most purposes),
out of our sight
is it owls you wish to meet, or mice?
Or men?
Garter snakes!
Of course.
Thank you for the lovely present.
We have watched with interest your early and daily
investigation of surrounding property,
your improvement in the fence leap,
your attempts to coax prey from the sky with your poet's cheeping.
Like soft washing hung out on a lazy afternoon line to dry,
your fur stirs when you doze on warm clay.
Like some large tourist,
you'll start awake,
look quite surprised,
wash,
a fat cat beside the hotel pool,
wondering whether to order a second Tequila.
Today the weather's earl gray day and you're staying close,
but would, we wonder,
you know a coyote
if it padded by?
We can but hope.

If likeness and demeanor were the issues uppermost in the mind of casting
directors, who would they say I might play?  Marx possibly.  I'm not
Lutheran-Jewish German (it was Jenny who had the Scottish origins), but I might
pass.  Just add a dueling scar above the eye.
I could do Grant.  Lee, even.  Same head shape.  Socrates would be a
stretch--too much absence of tan..., and that whole Greek male bit would be a
stretch.
Possibly Hemingway.  But again, the swagger would be the stumbling block.
We're a self-effacing lot, the Scots.  Until we're not.

David Ritchie,
Portland,