[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 14:17:17 -0700

On Jul 9, 2012, at 1:20 PM, Eric Yost wrote:
> drag you down into someplace like New Jersey only darker and
> smelling more like cheese. Accidents do happen.

Thinking on cheesy distractions, we pass quickly to adultery.  When you wander
through the Huntington Library in search of "the Blue Boy," let your eye linger
a moment on Lady Ligonier, also by Gainsborough.  "A portrait of a beautiful
woman," you think, which is true, but not the half of it, as this will tell:
http://emuseum.huntington.org/view/objects/asitem/People$00403285/0?t:state:flow=1954019a-8d38-4627-b818-149c0ca2a6d2
  What the Huntingdon account doesn't mention is a duel.  Edward Viscount
Ligonier borrowed a sword from a cutler in Bond Street and fought a duel in
Green Park with Vittorio Amadeo, Count Alfieri.  This source
(http://www.discovery-walks.com/general-walking-blogs/london-walks-around-st-jamess-park)
 describes the duel taking place between the first and last acts of an opera.
How do I know the tale?  I'm reading a biography of Pitt Rivers, whose name is
on that very eccentric museum in Oxford; he started out in life, rather
confusingly in my view, named Lane Fox.  Lady Ligonier was his great aunt.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon