[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Thing

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:26:17 -0700

Like that fellow on t.v. who made money the old fashioned way, having achieved first class honors in a medical physical exam and played five sets of quite good tennis and perceived some small thing that may prove value in some far corner of a forgotten historical field, I believe I earned this week the right to a glass of beer.

Measured by independently calibrated statistical instruments, these outcomes will register at about the level of the royal wave.

Contrast those professors' lives, imaginary in my understanding, described to "prospies" by tour guides on eastern college tours as, "rock stars." Conjure bands of such beings packing auditoriums with fans, who light matches and sway their hips, blithely, lithely, slowly, in tune with whatever notes fatten the pigs of deans. Asterisk.

[Asterisk: cryptic reference to joke ending, "Them's the dean's pigs" in this paragraph]

Science will no doubt show that our trousers start with leg one, but waves themselves are a different matter.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon