[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poems (Patriotic On Sale Day)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:40:30 -0700

On Jul 8, 2007, at 7:08 AM, Ursula Stange wrote:

Always a pleasure, David.
Sometimes a treasure.

You're very kind. And are you visiting hereabouts this summer? No doubt Robert Paul knows all, but having just spent three days painting the garden boat, I'm about ready to receive boarders and to show off our local version of cave paintings. Yes, my younger daughter invited all her friends to a boat-painting party and for those who want to say the next generation is lost--rubbish--all of these gorgeous sixteen year old females showed up (no connection to the fact that we have a French teenage boy staying, I'm sure) and they divided into those who wanted to apply paint and those who wanted really to paint. To the latter I provided images of cave paintings and a few guidelines about the importance of line and gesture. And then we had at it. Though I had to spend most of today fixing one thing and another, mostly small line adjustments, the results are an argument in favor of risk taking and collaboration and teenagers generally; these at least understood and they did well, is the sum of things.

Do come and see and have a cup of tea, if that's what you wish.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon