[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poems (Patriotic On Sale Day)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 01:02:10 -0700

Clearing out, holiday discount:

one of the disappointments of an artist's life
and don't forget they are bound nowadays to be tortured
is that they must be surrounded by people who don't get it
and then from time to time folk come a cropper on a corner and know that getting it isn't
even where it's now at
or close to the main junction where there's still a diversion and many orange cones
we having all having been diverted
sew
and even so with bumps and occasional dropped stiches
michael flatly
butt you'll agree life is good
and that is about it
witches where you improbably come
innit

after twenty five years
there's little to be said
except love is alive in our several acts
a vaudeville bill from head to toe
and in the quiet of marriage's reading rooms
though we've still not settled on an hour song
and clearly we've none of us an ability to dance
maybe we didn't go far wrong
we have, for example, basic agreements about France

shall i tell you how much better whisky tastes when you have earned it by the sweat of your brow
or brain
single malt that would be the macallan twelve year old and how
i earned it is by speaking to the saint andrew's society about william drummond stewart which is doubly rewarding, a mere peon scoring some amber succor from the life of a peer and here's to the wages of yon thin second son after whom there was named a lake in wyoming
until the fellow fremont came to it spat and called it his
which was true until halliburton poked holes in the ground all over
and let out dick cheney's fabulously expansive gas
for general vice profit

a sausage and a piece of chocolate
what more could a man want
a piece of sausage and a chocolate
is about all that's granted
leave me garibaldi
i am beyond unification
go lenin
my interest in the finland station wanes
i live i breathe i chew
and some store of  new deal more
also, fyi, i do still love you

David Ritchie,