[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:57:04 -0500

US:
I was hoping you weren't finished sending us your Sunday offerings.
In the online intro phil course I'm presently teaching, we're pondering God.
This is an excellent ponder.

DR:
It would be extraordinary if I weren't wearing people's patience a little thin; of this I am aware.

"Patience n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue." [Ambrose Bierce, "Devil's Dictionary," 1911]

To hell with people and their precious patience. As Groucho said: "I could have been a doctor if I'd had the patients." Make the bastards suffer, I say. Lay on, McRitchie. And damned be he who first gets bitchy. After all, we're none of us getting for our great wisdomettes and peomettes and doggerlettes and observationettes and opinionissimo's. Well, I'm not anyway. If someone is, I want in. Beggars can't be choosy, or unappreciative. Or else...something...bad. Something bad. Definitely. And they brought it own themselves.

I'm not sure what occasions the exchanges between Ursula and David, but I sure hope it's not a threat by the Laureate to withdraw his talents. No matter how taxing -- sorry, I just can't resist a humorous twist to any statement, no matter how sincere. It's definitely a sickness, but who isn't sick or everything? I have always enjoyed reading your poems, proems and distillations, even when I didn't read, I enjoyed knowing they were there to be read. : ) Sometimes I don't feel like humiliating myself either, but a needy ego is usually stronger than my sense of shame in me. Shamelessness is not a shame if you have no virtues or ideals or values.

So I'm back just to see what's going on down home. Still not in a "safe place" with the novel yet.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On May 31, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

I was hoping you weren't finished sending us your Sunday offerings.
In the online intro phil course I'm presently teaching, we're pondering God.
This is an excellent ponder.
I thank you weekly (but never weakly).
Ursula

The past, as they say in prospectuses, is no predictor of the future. I have no idea how often in the future these things will appear. If one is available, I present it, possibly to an audience of one. It would be extraordinary if I weren't wearing people's patience a little thin; of this I am aware. But the delete key probably does the trick in most instances.

Thank you.  Good wishes,

David Ritchie,
unusually hot in Portland, Oregon