[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:04:03 -0800

on 11/7/04 5:05 PM, Mike Geary at atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thank you, David.  I loved your poem.  I don't what it is with you and the
> mussels, but there it is.   I try to accept the world as it is.  I try not
> to moralize.  Gulls, though, they sing like me, they've got to go.

Why mussels?  I don't know.  I'm finding out.  It's like painting; if I knew
where I was going, I might not try.  The flip answer is that, like Mr.
Disney, I feel the need for a theme.

Maybe one day you'll look for a slim molluscular volume titled, "Mussels for
Starters," stuck to the remainder desk of a bookstore near you?

Send all gulls to Alcatraz is my advice; they're short of them there.  The
National Park Service spends your tax dollars--those that aren't needed for
bombers and so on--protecting gulls from those gullible people who pay to go
and see an ex-prison.

Boy that Dad stuff was good.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon