[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:06:58 -0700

On Sep 24, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

fine....fine....fine...
Always wishing I had more time...
U.

Thank you. May I send you compensatory details of some small joy? This evening after dinner I put on a disc I didn't know I had. I'm the only one in the household who would have bought it but, unlike almost any other disc I could hold in my hand, this one's origin eluded me. Why tell you this? You already know that piano playing moves me; I have said so. You may also already know that I am hard to please, that there is a touch of Calvin in my soul and everyone in my world starts at about twenty percent. Very good is somewhere near seventy out of a hundred. Well this disc blew all that nonsense away. Here's a seventy year old man playing Beethoven in ways that first make you go, "What's he done with the tempo there?" And then, merely, "wow." Or, more correctly, "goodness."

Details? Wilhelm Kempff, Legendary Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon, "Ludwig Van Beethoven Sonaten No 8, 14, 21, 23."

Legendary is about right.  You'll not go wrong paying money for this.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon