[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:11:21 -0700

in my own sterling moss hands cars remain wonderful
the problem of course is you
and all the other inhabitants of the planet who go about cluttering up roads and
causing one to take an hour and a half to reach gresham

i don't know if you know gresham
few do
but substitute in your mind some place you wouldn't want to go and which you certainly wouldn't want to take an hour and a half getting to
and you'll have the idea

we reached the dizzying heights of the regional play-offs in tennis
so hie'd ourselves thither on friday eve for a match
in rush hour traffic my back chose the opportunity to imitate the action of the gorilla
to stiffen like a saluting sort of sinew
or an accordion on the" in" four bars rather than the "out"
quite squashed it got

finally we swerved with admittedly a bit of spin into the car park
exited the vehicle
ran into the club
and arrived officially within the prescribed lateness limit
serving ourselves on a platter
like goggled eye'd fish
flat chum for opponents who got to feeding right away

imagine some sick gnus trying to hit tennis balls and you about have the occasion
no matter the will or intent
we were sidewalk musicians sans instruments
gathering curling pennies
and of them precious few

basically and in my view eminently sensibly
i blamed you and your cars for our fall
but after a father's day breakfast
my mind erases that spray of wrath
pulls rain covers over the menace tennis
and warms my thoughts on all

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon