[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 08:51:06 +0900

David,
Can you do one now about the stones that pop up under your spade or trowel
three-quarters of the way toward the end of the row you are planting? So if
you skip it, the row goes all scraggly. And, if you don't, it turns out to
be so big that when, at last, you pull it out, you need a tree to fill the
hole.
John

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> i know what my hatred of garden hoses could be understood to mean in
> freudian terms but i don't think that's quite it
> i hate garden hoses because
> when you are planting with a full head of steam up
> which is to say at twice the speed of sound
> sweat runs in rivulets down your brow
> and by the time the final task
> which is to add water
> soaking the translated roots
> by the time this hour comes around you are tired
> and it is exactly then that hoses will choose to python themselves around
> some jutting rock
> pretending to constrict it
> or they will flop over suddenly like a fish struggling to get free
> and kink
> or they will blow a washer at the business end and so deliver
> exactly the wrong force of water
> hoses are the tricksters of the garden
> belittling those who work with shovels
> calling them gandy dancers
> refusing by reference to the union
> to tap the damn well
>
> (p.s. show me a ritchie a/c charging manifold with 1 hose in like new
> condition!!!!
> and i'll show you a hoser in waiting
> http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/673214861.html)
>
> David Ritchie,