[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:14:33 -0700

i know what my hatred of garden hoses could be understood to mean in
freudian terms but i don't think that's quite it
i hate garden hoses because
when you are planting with a full head of steam up
which is to say at twice the speed of sound
sweat runs in rivulets down your brow
and by the time the final task
which is to add water
soaking the translated roots
by the time this hour comes around you are tired
and it is exactly then that hoses will choose to python themselves around some jutting rock
pretending to constrict it
or they will flop over suddenly like a fish struggling to get free
and kink
or they will blow a washer at the business end and so deliver
exactly the wrong force of water
hoses are the tricksters of the garden
belittling those who work with shovels
calling them gandy dancers
refusing by reference to the union
to tap the damn well

(p.s. show me a ritchie a/c charging manifold with 1 hose in like new condition!!!!
and i'll show you a hoser in waiting
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/673214861.html)

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon