[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:37:31 -0700

On May 28, 2006, at 5:00 PM, John McCreery wrote:

Splendid. Sound like truly lovely people.

John

I'm glad you liked it.  I'm proud of it, admiring of them.

I understand when folk complain about dull elders. I spent my teens doing social service in old folks' homes and therefore know how things generally go. We've seen our parents age and die. I know that a shrunken version of ourselves is the future most of us face; it is only a few of us who get to be interesting old people. So when I run across spry-ness, I love it, celebrate islands in the stream, heroes to note as the current sweeps us along. Muriel and Irv are regular folk--he was in the navy and worked as something or other; she had her own career.

May we all end so well.

They were talking bravely of a seventieth anniversary party.  We'll see.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon