[lit-ideas] Summer time in the city, back of my neck's gettin' dirty and gritty

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:07:29 -0500

It's 10:45 p.m. and 92 degrees F (33 C).  All next week it's supposed to just
get worse and worse.  I hate my existence.  This is not what God had in mind
for me.  I'm looking for the asshole who stole my place in the world.  Somebody
in San Francisco is my guess.  If you didn't have to be a trillionaire to live
there, that's where I'd be.  I'd walk along the beach everyday looking for
rhymes like 'peach' and 'reach' and 'teach' and 'beseech' and 'preach' and
'impeach' -- yes impeach!  Yes, that's the word of the day.  Impeach the
bastard, yes!  Ah, but that's just San Francisco talk, down here it's all about
 -- hmmm, how odd.  I've lived here 52 of my 63 years, but I don't know what
the talk is here anymore.  I'm not really here anymore.  Mostly it's just my
kids and grandkids and a some friends.  All the rest is just them.  People who
have even less curiosity about me than I do about them.  And so it goes.
Another hot summer in Memphis.

Mike Geary
Memphis

Btw, does anyone have any idea what Donal's btw in his last post was all
about???  I would ask him, but I'm afraid he might answer and my life is
complicated enough as it is and it's just too damn hot to try to make sense of
anything.