[lit-ideas] Re: Summat to Occupy You While I'm Away at the Games Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:55:59 -0700

go'on it's yuwer shout or
dae yon party piece
about how we sound
wi' accents an aw'
dae tha english
an' upper class twuts
an' the micks

that oirish accent
it's not at all loike one from that film
once
and there's no
feck
drink
feck
dat sort of thing
so the committee's decoided after due deliberation to do absolutely nuttin' about it

look you can i interject here a little gratuitous
lovely word that
llantwit major sing song
with ivor the engine and that dragon of his
coming along

this regional wishy washy mish mash on today's bbc is jyust the sort of thing up with which we membahs of the educated elite chatahouse orcksfud and all thyat must now put
on one's tele no lyess
but
one lahns to gyet along and geow alyong i s'pyose
to keep one's tryap shut when one is tyempted to correct heow the lyowah classes talk
to stay myum when one geows out for a meal et the lyocal pub
it's eonly in private sahcumstences
nowadays
that one kin use one's byest eccent
to congratulate one's chums when they do wyell et gyolf or peolo for example
this now
is what kneuwing one's plyeace in lyife
is all abeyout

coming like a scotch collie at despeedasahnd
when my ear's whistle calls
is immigration an' in'egration
this week's favorites
but would you know
just when you least expect
when you fink they're abaht ta kiss the tape
there they go
off the rails again
quicker than milk
noises in
noises out
noises 'ere
noises off
it's a farce
almos' makes you nostalgic for
da good old days of bri-ish rail 'arold wilson i'm backin' britt'n en carnaby street
life
it's labour o' luv innit
if they ast dat on a quizz
i'd be the first to get it