[lit-ideas] Re: Suicide in Europe

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:33:39 +0000 (GMT)

Lawrence

Thornton probably didn't have the 2004 edition of WHO's book on suicide when he
wrote his own book.  Interestingly, WHO's reputation doesn't seem
sterling<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(

it doesn't really matter as the only statistic of his I queried, after seeing
the WHO figures,is the Luxemburg one. (Luxemburg is perhaps bestleft out of the
discussion, though, as it's so small.

I do need some clarification here on what Thornton means by Europe.  You quote
him as saying

France's suicide rate is about twice that of the United States', as are
Belgium's, Luxembourg's, Finland's Austria's, and Switzerland
<<<<<<<<<<<

but on the figures I have (WHO, yes) this is not quite right. However, my

,That leaves us, pending further investigation,  with four European
countries with higher suicide rates than those of the US and of other
European countries.
<<<<<<<<<<

only holds for the definition of Europe I assumed he was using (suicide rates
are high in most of Eastern Europe).

so we need to know more.  Meanwhile I'll note the obvious: suicide rates are
significantly higher in the US than in Britain, the Netherlands, Italy and
Spain. (There are others I haven't checked.

Now what about his

"in many European countries, suicide is the second leading cause of death,
 after accidents,"

?

as I said, this is for teenagers,  it varies greatly across Europe. Yes, it is
lower in the US, (where homicide is the second cause, suicide, third). Why does
Thornton say this?

By the way, I realise his general "suicide thesis" is about something else.
But isn't his use of these figures a bit sloppy?

Why
 the West has bifurcated, Western Europe one way and America (or
Anglo-America?) another is something I have an ongoing interest in.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yes, it is interesting. And the idea (yes I did read all of your blog post!)
that the difference may relate to the effects of WWII is also interesting. But
European "paternalism" has long roots.  There's work on the origins and
development of welfare states in Europe that's relevant here.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Europe, World War II, Suicide and Jason Bourne
To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>