[lit-ideas] Re: Studies Studies

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:52:55 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2004 5:16:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"The  Journaling Ling Cod Journal" is popular, but many also read "Pisces,"
the  journal put out by the Jacques Cousteau Institute for sub-aquatic  and
trans-disciplinary studies.  I find it all very  fishy.

----

Mmm. I was wondering if for _any_ (English) word, X, there is or has been a
X Studies. (e.g. a la Arctic Studies).

The OED does not seem to recognise this use of 'studies', but I found
slightly similar.

Dunbar spake of "euery study", too.

Cheers,

JL

---

study. A department of study; the cultivation of a particular branch of
learning or science. Often in collect. pl., a person's work as a student.

1477  EARL  RIVERS (Caxton) Dictes 16

Ypocras..was the  first fynder of the art of phisike whiche he shewed and
taught to his  children... And commaunded that they shulde dwelle in the middel
habitacion of  grece in iii. Isles. And ypocras rested in the Ile of Thau. And
in the ij. other  Isles the studye was lost in his dayes.

1500-20  DUNBAR Poems lxv. 4 To speik of  science, craft, or sapience,..Off
euerie study, lair, or discipline.

1538  STARKEY England  II. iii. 203

The ordur of studys  in vnyuersytes must..be amendyd.

1591  SHAKES. Two Gent.  I. i. 67

Thou Iulia thou hast  metamorphis'd me: Made me neglect my Studies, loose my
time.

1594  R.  ASHLEY tr. Loys le Roy 24 The  learning of the Athenians was lost
in Athens; only remaining in that towne the  school or house of studies.

1597  BACON Ess., Studies (Arb.) 6  Studies serue for pastimes, for ornaments
and for abilities.

1677  JOHNSON in Ray's Corr. (1848) 128 In the meantime wishing you success
in your studies, I rest,  &c.

1756-9  A.  BUTLER Lives of Saints, S. Peter Damian,

He gave a  considerable time to sacred studies.

1788  A.  HUGHES Henry & Isabella III. 5 Is she persuaded to apply to any
particular study, such as music,  painting, &c. because her father is fond of
it?

1841 Penny  Cycl. XXI. 175/1 He began his studies at the  gymnasium of Coburg
in 1638.

1864  TENNYSON Aylmer's F. 394 Back  would he to his studies, make a name.

1874  BLACKIE Self-Cult. 30 So far  from rushing hastily into merely
professional studies, a young man should rather  [etc.].

1892 LADY F. VERNEY Verney Mem. I. 122
Ralph still going on  with his studies at  Oxford.