[lit-ideas] Re: Stay undead!

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:12:22 -0700

On Jun 21, 2007, at 1:44 PM, John Wager wrote:

All: Is it really true that the reason Thomas a Kempis (author of Imitation of Christ) is not a saint, is that when his body was exhumed, it was discovered that he had been buried alive, and showed signs of trying to get out of the coffin? I have heard this from more than one person. The thinking was that finding one's self inside a coffin thusly was reason to despair, hence no sainthood.

I've just done a quick Google search and while the question seems to get raised, nobody has any answers based on historical records.

He died in 1471; is that too long ago for his death story to be included in a list of "urban myths?"

Neither my Britannica nor Webster's biographical dictionary clears this up, but Britannica lists his age at death as 91 and points out that he led possibly the dullest life of anyone who has ever written a book--I'm paraphrasing-- so perhaps people are trying to add spice?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon