[lit-ideas] Status Post Programoplasty

  • From: "aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "THEORIA" <THEORIA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:08:44 -0500

First of all, thanks to everyone for your comment and suggestions.  They were
much appreciated.  I have to say, my battle with this thing wasn't pretty, but
I came out on top.
Briefly, computers are a huge part of my life, but I don't like the technical
aspect of them.  Like with a car, I turn the key, it runs, and that's what I
want to know about cars.  Likewise with computers; I had a virus program, I was
protected, right?  Hardly.  Needless to say, it turns out my computer was
infected with malware, spyware, adware, and data miners.  I had a total of over
60 critical objects on my system and never even knew it, including 7 redirect
host files.   Over the years they sneaked in until I had a critical mass that
all but shut me down.  I was ready to scrap my otherwise perfectly fine, if not
perfectly new, computer (tipping my hat to Lance, something I did *not* want to
do, on principle as much as anything else) when a very computer-knowledgeable
friend told me about a terrific program called Adaware (lavasoft.com).  Adaware
is not a virus program but goes into the registry and C drive and cleans out
unwanted programs.  It's also a world class firewa
 ll.  I used it and my computer is now as clean as the day I bought it.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.  It feels sooo good to be
back to normal.

Andy Amago