[lit-ideas] Stars and Stripes Forever

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 13:37:49 EDT

Yesterday, I heard a man whistling the Stars and Stripes Forever on the other
side of Broadway. His warbling whistle, though a little off tune, carried
across the street.
A kid on my side of the street, in doo-rag and sports jersey, started
split-whistling (shepherd's whistling) the Stars and Stripes Forever back. The
kid's
whistle was much more in tune and MUCH louder.

The two whistlers began exchanging parts and whistling to each other,
answering and harmonizing.

Other people joined in--a guy leaning out of a magazine store, two women
walking in the opposite direction, a father and his son. The Stars and Stripes
Forever echoed up and down the street for a couple blocks.

Eric
PS: Later, I listened to the recording of Vladimir Horowitz playing his
transcription of the Stars and Stripes Forever.