[lit-ideas] Re: Stanley Fish, Ayers & the Manson Family

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:41:19 -0400

Mike: I understand the rage that drove the radicals of the 60's but violence only breeds violence and condemnation.

Plus poor techniques of violence yield that old law of unintended consequences. The Wikipedia bio article mentions that:

"In 1970 he [Ayers] went underground with several associates after the Greenwich Village townhouse explosion, in which Weatherman member Ted Gold, Ayers' close friend Terry Robbins, and Ayers girlfriend, Oughton, were killed when a nail bomb (an anti-personnel device) that was under construction exploded."

I like the phrase "went underground." Such glamor. Nothing like radical chic to raise a smile.