[lit-ideas] Stanley Fish, Ayers & the Manson Family

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:50:14 -0700

Donal

Well I would include a bit more than that, as I indicated, but what you write
brings up a recollection of another 60s set of activists, the Manson family.
Some of the Manson family have turned their lives around, so it has been
testified during their parole hearings.  They are not in jail because of
anything they did recently, but of what they did long ago.

Aside from the legal loopholes that allowed terrorists from our upper class
(Ayers & Dohrn) to go free while retaining terrorists from lower classes (the
Manson family) to remain incarcerated, what principle, if any, should apply
here?

Should someone be given a clean slate at some point in time after a crime?  At
what point did Ayers and Dorhn get a clean slate aka “rock-solid
establishment”?  If there is a principle, why haven’t any of the Manson family
been given a clean slate?

Lawrence