[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:32:00 -0500

Eric, it would be a small group of radical Christian Fundamentalists who would carry out such attacks and a much larger group who would support them. In the climate of fear that would follow (and the us-versus-them propaganda), more moderate Christians would be silenced. If they persisted in their opposition, they would be labelled collaborators and if they persisted still, they would be arrested as traitors.

Look even now how little vocal opposition there is against the excesses of the Christian Right. What voice is calling them to account? (I know that there are some, but they do not get much attention.)

As an individual Christian, you might be saddened by the world's judgment about Christianity and ache to hear your leaders take Christ's message and twist it to their own ends, but you would protect yourself and your family first and keep your mouth shut. All that 'disappearing' of the intellectual class in Iraq would, under similar conditions, be perpetrated here as well.

Ursula,
saddened all the time by what our leaders say and do...

Eric wrote:

>>Imagine that Christian extremists hijack a jet and crash it into the Kaaba in Mecca, and the Christian co-religionists here refuse to help sort them out.

Ursula: But yes, given the turned table I posited, I can see your scenario happening.

Eric: And if that happened, wouldn't the world be justified in mistrusting Christians? It would show that they tacitly supported the extremists and their claim to represent a religion of peace was bogus.