[lit-ideas] Re: Spot the philosopher

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:38:59 +0000 (GMT)

Interesting guesses.

--- Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Here's a (perhaps) interesting quiz: given the following six
> possibilities (3
> > philosophers, 3 not) which are the following were said by which and by
> who?

> > 1. Prince Phillip
> > 2. Karl Popper
> > 3. Freud
> > 4. J.S. Bach
> > 5. Wittgenstein
> > 6. Adolf Hitler
>
> > A. "We tend to take the speech of a Chinese for inarticulate gurgling".
>
> Wittgenstein.

Correctimundo.

The rest are incorrect.

In particular:-

> > F. `A proposition has sense only if I know what is the case if it is
> false.`
>
> Karl ('Pops') Popper. [Prince Phillip?]

If I have done nothing useful on this list surely among these things I have
uselessly done is pointed out that Popper's demarcation criterion of science
from non-science, which centres on the concept of falsifiability, was never
offered as a criterion of sense (as opposed to nonsense). So no, Popper did
not say this. Neither did Prince Phillip afaik.

Best,
Donal