[lit-ideas] Re: Spot, the Philosopher

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:24:40 -0500

Andy: ... a more reasonable hypothesis than Eric's explanation for terrorism.

Of course it is! Almost anything would be. It's a sure sign of exhaustion when one thinks up sociobiological theses.

My guess with the questions below is that Donal was fooling us, and they were actually said by people other than Wittgenstein.

A. "We tend to take the speech of a Chinese for inarticulate gurgling."

GENERAL HIDEKI TOJO

B. `Reading the Socratic dialogues one has the feeling: what a frightful waste of time! What's the point of these arguments that prove nothing and clarify nothing?`

ARISTOTLE

C. `I really do think with my pen, because my head often knows nothing about what my hand is writing.`

WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

D. `Rousseau's character has something Jewish about it.`

DIDEROT

E. `Within the history of the peoples' of Europe the history of the Jes [sic] is not treated as circumstancially as their intervention in European affairs would actually merit, because within this history they are experienced as a sort of disease, an anomaly, and no one wants to put a disease on the same level as normal life.`

TONY KUSHNER

F. `A proposition has sense only if I know what is the case if it is false.`

MAE WEST