[lit-ideas] Re: Spooky films

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:56:11 +0900

On 2004/06/12, at 16:10, Omar Kusturica wrote:

> I was refering to the apparent trend of staging the
> ghosts and the supernatural in Hong Kong movies, not
> exactly the place where I would have expected it.

While not thousands of years old, this trend also goes back a long
time, at least, as I recall, to the late 1960s, when I was getting
ready for fieldwork in Taiwan. The ghost story literature from which
the films draw plots and motifs is, of course, much older.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama, Japan 220-0006