[lit-ideas] Re: Spooky films

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:10:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2004/06/12, at 13:58, Omar Kusturica wrote:
>
> > Somewhat interesting - I wasn't aware of this
> trend
> > before.
> >
> > http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FF10Ad07.html
> >

> Which trend is that? Clamping down on "heterodox
> sects" and "popular
> superstitions" has been a preoccupation of Chinese
> officials at least
> since the Qin Dynasty (221-202 b.c.), and the first
> Qin emperor's reign
> that including an historic example of "The Burning
> of the Books" in 213
> b.c.

I was refering to the apparent trend of staging the
ghosts and the supernatural in Hong Kong movies, not
exactly the place where I would have expected it.
(Unless it is just imitating the Western horror
movies; I don't watch a lot of HK movies so I couldn't
say with certainty, but I would guess it is something
more.) I am aware that the policies of oppressing or
at least marginalizing animist practices go some way
back and have roots in Confucianism (though I wouldn't
underestimate the influence of Marxism). However, I
didn't realize that it is as far back as you
stipulate. I would not have associated the Book
Burning specifically with anti-animism; I think it is
often seen as part of the conflict between the
Confucian and Legalist schools, with Confucianism
being the target. This is what the sites below appear
to suggest:

http://www.china-window.com/china_basic/china_history/chinese-historyqin-dynast.shtml

http://campus.northpark.edu/history/WebChron/China/BookBurn.CP.html

But my surprise was really at the presence of ghosts
in HK films. I guess that I have previously associated
animism with backward customs of rural populations.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/