[lit-ideas] Speeding Through the Rye

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:15:39 -0700

Those of you who are wondering what to think about now that the synchronized
swimming is done and there is only the synchronized waving of politicians to
carry us through the dog days of summer, should take heed of our newspaper's
"Living" section, which this week is devoted to Julia Child's birthday.  We
learn that at the end of her cooking program Child saluted viewers with a
raised glass of... colored water.  We learn that when not working she enjoyed
wine, and that for her 40th birthday she wanted roast duck and '26 Chambertin.
Wouldn't you?  And perhaps most interesting of all, we learn that there were
indeed foods she did not like.  Chief among these is what the Oregonian
describes as a "truck-stop staple"... "chicken-friend steak."

Brings new meaning to this skit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI

And BTW the fellow who was injured on our "nationally known" lawnmower racing
track, the "Mow Bang Raceway" is "resting quite comfortably after suffering
non-life-threatening injuries."  "The sport, founded in Chicago in 1992, now
recognizes 11 classes of competition, ranging from stock models with their
cutting blades removed to highly modified mowers that can hit 55 to 60 mph on
the straightaway."

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,