[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons technology...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:03:49 EST

Oh, Mr. Fixit:

How long would you estimate that it would take to use the old fashioned
non-power mowers for two acres?  I used to use one on  my postage  stamp size
yard
20 years ago.  I loved it.  Can you calculate the time  for 2 acres from your
experience in using mowers?  Also, I was actually  looking for one of the old
push mowers this summer....any tips?

Julie Krueger
accessing lawn support

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of
weapons technology...  Date: 11/20/2006 11:59:46 P.M. Central Standard Time
From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Irene: a beautiful riding mower for only $819  which I
have my eye on for the spring

A "riding mower"? What's up  with that? Doesn't that conflict
with your eco-stewardship/fitness beliefs?  I use a regular
gas mower for the orchard on the hill, but am looking for an
old-fashioned push mower I can restore. You know, really
work up a  sweat? Avoid the petroleum economy. Plus every
year, you get to use files to  sharpen the blades.

Speaking of sharpening with files, I guess you're the  sort
who sends your hand saws in to be sharpened by machine. (Or
worse,  uses electric saws for everything.) If so, you're
missing the aesthetic of  using the saw-sharpening clamp and
doing it by hand.

Holier than  thou,
Mr.  Fixit