[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons technology...

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 07:07:01 -0800 (PST)

Well, I don't own a car, either. I might sometimes
miss it but I agree that it makes life life more
simple in terms of not having to worry about fuel,
repairs, checks, parking etc.

Come to think of it, I don't own a space ship either,
which means I spare humanity a lot of waste in fuel,
environment damage and so on.

O.K.

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andy: As far as the ecology is concerned, I do
> probably more
> than most people, but it's a lost cause.
>
> Not to imply that you don't do your part, Andy, but
> why the
> inconsistency? Even if the cause is lost, there's
> the
> satisfaction of knowing you are not contributing
> much to the
> loss. Plus it's fun. I gave up owning a car in 1990,
> and
> haven't missed it at all; in fact, not having the
> insurance
> / inspection / oil change / tire rotation / fill up
> headache
> has been delightful. Even out in the countryside,
> it's a
> hoot! Friends here, long conditioned to car culture,
> can't
> understand why I would want to walk to the store or
> to their
> houses. They are always offering to drive me, as if
> my
> refusal were some form of excessive politeness to
> them. If I
> want to go somewhere, I take a bus. Driving a rental
> car is
> the exception, when I have to go where bus lines
> don't.
>
> Granted, petroleum has its uses, such as powering
> jets to
> drop massive bombs on Taliban and al-Qaeda. Yet even
> in the
> midst of car culture, we don't really need it here.
> Mostly
> we just think we do.

> vacation on/off,
> digest on/off), visit