[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons technology...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:32:15 -0500

Eric wrote:

We didn't have a car for about 6 years and, yes, it wasn't as much bother as one might have thought. We rented a car once every six weeks or so for errands that needed one and otherwise only for out of town trips. I must add, though, that our daughter received a lot of rides from friends to and from Brownies, band, soccer etc.. I still take the bus to and from school -- you can learn a lot eavesdropping on student conversations...
Ursula, honing her ears in
NOrth Bay, ON

>Plus it's fun. I gave up owning a car in 1990, and
haven't missed it at all; in fact, not having the insurance / inspection / oil change / tire rotation / fill up headache has been delightful. Even out in the countryside, it's a hoot! Friends here, long conditioned to car culture, can't understand why I would want to walk to the store or to their houses. They are always offering to drive me, as if my refusal were some form of excessive politeness to them.

A.A. Well, mass transit where I live doesn't exist, and walking 5 miles to
the supermarket and 5 miles back again on very hilly roads with a week’s
worth of groceries would prove what exactly?  That is not my definition of
fun.

Granted, petroleum has its uses, such as powering jets to drop massive bombs on Taliban and al-Qaeda.

A.A. If we had been minding our own business in foreign relations and
developing green technologies and mass transit systems and exporting same
instead of the latest weapons, maybe we wouldn't need to bomb al Qaeda and
the others.  And even if we did need to bomb, we'd bomb the Taliban and
they'd be gone because we wouldn't be in Iraq.

Yet even in the
midst of car culture, we don't really need it here. Mostly we just think we do.

A.A.  See above.  Unless you intend to put a Thomas Hardy character to
shame, a car in most of the U.S.A. is a necessity.

For David Ritchie, what does one do with the sheep in the wintertime? Regarding the goats being too stupid not to eat what kills them, that’s
more than faintly reminiscent of human behavior.  Maybe it just proves that
we're the same as our cousins the goats, just a lot more lethal.