[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons technology...

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:23:23 -0500

Andy: As far as the ecology is concerned, I do probably more than most people, but it's a lost cause.

Not to imply that you don't do your part, Andy, but why the inconsistency? Even if the cause is lost, there's the satisfaction of knowing you are not contributing much to the loss. Plus it's fun. I gave up owning a car in 1990, and haven't missed it at all; in fact, not having the insurance / inspection / oil change / tire rotation / fill up headache has been delightful. Even out in the countryside, it's a hoot! Friends here, long conditioned to car culture, can't understand why I would want to walk to the store or to their houses. They are always offering to drive me, as if my refusal were some form of excessive politeness to them. If I want to go somewhere, I take a bus. Driving a rental car is the exception, when I have to go where bus lines don't.

Granted, petroleum has its uses, such as powering jets to drop massive bombs on Taliban and al-Qaeda. Yet even in the midst of car culture, we don't really need it here. Mostly we just think we do.