[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:56:04 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2004 5:47:51 PM Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The long  term for the
USA looks very dismal: billions wasted in a pointless war, a  political
movement that is
anti-education, and so  on.

Hi,
Okay, I understand what you are saying...and it is awful.  But, that  is not
what I was asking about--I suppose I was asking for more information  about th
eir own values and ideas for their purpose in life.

Malaysia, for example, is Islamic.  Granted, it's been a while since I  have
talked to some of the folk that I knew from there, but it was not the most
friendly to someone who was not Islamic.  Or to women...

Are they planning on assisting with making the world a better place?   Or
just going where they can make a lot of money and not be bothered?  (and  I'm
not
putting a value on this--I fuss with people all the time about the value
that people give the fabric of the Universe by simply taking care of
themselves,
their families and their own little circle.  I think of them as the threads
that make the center of a little block on a quilt--they will never ever visit
another block on the quilt and, very honestly, are not interested in doing
so...though they sometimes enjoy hearing about the other blocks.  Some  people
are the threads which connect a couple of the little blocks together onto  a
bigger block--and their world is bigger but still--the quilt is awfully big
and there may be lots of different types of blocks making it up.

But, each piece of thread has value--and even if the teeniest block made by
that piece of thread will never make to beyond that spot--if they didn't
exist,  the quilt would not be as pretty or there would be a hole in it.  There
IS
value for and by those who do not venture beyond their own comfort
zones--even  if it is simply that they want to make $$ wherever they
can...though
hopefully  they will take care of those in their circle[s]...)

Thanks,
Marlena