[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:46:51 -0800

> Hi, Andreas,
>
> I'm curious.  Which countries are your friends thinking are more free than
> the USA?

Here's an article from Stanford's newspaper. The Canadian govt is actively
urging Stanford
students to move to Canada.
http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=15171&repository=0001_article

For foreigners here, it's an attractive proposition. It takes seven years to
get a Labor
Certification (Labor Cert, popularly known as a Green Card) in the USA.

The USA is hostile to foreigners now; they must answer absurd questions and
face deportation
over the smallest issues. I should list some of those questions here. Most of
you would
laugh in incredulity. The questions are basically "Have you ever done anything
illegal, even
if you weren't caught?" If you say no, and the US government finds out you once
rode in a
car without using the seatbelt, you will be arrested, hauled off in chains, and
deported
immediately. No discussion, no appeal.

Some of you will say, that's silly. Just try being a Mexican and drive
crosscountry in the
USA. You will be stopped over and over again by county police, who will search
the car and
look for money. If they find any money, they confiscate it on the spot. They
simply take it.

> Are any of them Islamic?  Are any of them women?

No, it's the Southeast Asia. From China down to Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia,
and India.
People here talk about the economic opportunities in those countries. The long
term for the
USA looks very dismal: billions wasted in a pointless war, a political movement
that is
anti-education, and so on.

yrs,
andreas