[lit-ideas] Re: Soup Story

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:44:17 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 17, 2004 7:00 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Soup Story

We figured we'd thought of everything, but of course we err'd; we forgot to
appease the car gods--I'm told the drill is to offer them your first born
goat.

A.A. That's where you went wrong.  The car gods want your first born
carburetor.  Preferably from a 1957 Chevy.

Foreign Car Repair checked the topped up fluid, which was now black, and
sent me back across the highway to Greek Chorus Transmissions.  Everyone
there came out of the shop to discuss what kind of gearing a SAAB has, and
whether the engine normally comes out of the top, or the transmission just
drops out of the bottom. Someone called the dealer in Seattle, who said that
it didn't matter anyway... because no one on the whole West Coast has a
replacement.

The nearest second opinion was in Everett, about twenty miles away.  To the
Chorus', "Five miles is as much as she'll do,"  we limped off, counting each
foot under tire a distance not slogged.  In E. the news turned terminal.
Even their experts said the gears were cooked, would cost two thousand
dollars or more to rebuild...if anyone could find or make parts.  "Habitat
for Humanity" got what was left of my faithful old car.

A.A.  I heard on Car Talk that Saabs are very faithful, but most unreliable.
They recommend shaggy old goats over Saabs.

Stephen liked the joke about the prostitute who goes to old people's home
and offers folk "Super sex."  He would wave feebly and say, in the guise of
the man in the joke, "I'll have the soup." ...  Along comes this big shaggy
dog...

A.A.  My effort at immortality:  How many feminists does it take to change a
light bulb?  Answer:  That's not funny.

Still mortal,
Andy Amago

David Ritchie