[lit-ideas] Something Up With I Shall Not Put (Is: Grice on prepositions

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:39:35 EST

In a message dated 12/1/2009 2:31:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:

that one  hold a number of prepositional clauses in mind
simultaneously in order to  understand an utterance. (Yes, I think Grice had
something to say about  this too.)

---- Right. Grice concluded, from reading Frege, that a preoposition is
otiose. It's the "Fido"-Fido theory of language. "Fido" _makes_ sense: it
refers  to Fido. But, Grice asks, 'surely we don't want to say that 'to' refers
to  _to_." From there, he concludes that all prepositions are best treated
as part  of the verb, e.g. vomit, vo-mit, sub-vo-mit, etc.

Cheers,

JLS