[lit-ideas] Re: Some years ago ...

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:30:54 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 22/12/08, cblists@xxxxxxxx <cblists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: cblists@xxxxxxxx <cblists@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Some years ago ...

> The 'some' years are, to be precise, how many?  And
> what made this concert so significant?

200. Premiere of Beethoven's 5th (inter alia) and/or last time B performs as a
concerto soloist and/or theatre runs out of ice cream at interval.

Btw, back to my previous post, since the fact something is a valid UG can never
show it reflects a 'natural law' rather than a contingency (i.e. its
'law-_like_ness' can never logically prove its 'law-ness'), to claim something
reflects a structural aspect of the universe requires a faith that what one
examines reflects some underlying structural necessity - and therefore T-claims
must, even where they can be grounded in some kind of UG, require a faith of
some sort that goes beyond the evidence. T-claims are expressions of a sort of
metaphysical faith in some kind of underlying metaphysical structures to
reality.

Also recommend people look at the brief discussion of Popper in Oxford's 'The
Philosophy of Science' in its 'Short Introductions' series. It's truly pathetic
and indicates that the academy is still recruiting from the ranks of
intellectual plankton.

Donal
Bah