[lit-ideas] Re: "Some like Witters..."

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:18:34 -0800

JL writes, I'm not sure why

--- Grice cited that. Indeed, Grice wrote a paper which he called (but never published), "Definite descriptions in Russell and the Vernacular". -- cited inter alii by Bealer in Quality and Concept, which also quotes from R. Paul -- Bealer is Paul's student).

George Bealer was, of course, never 'my student.' He was my colleague at Reed for a number of years, and he and I were good friends, although we've lost touch. George, as you know, was Grice's student at Berkeley; but I'm not sure if Grice was his thesis advisor. Although George admired Grice, I wouldn't say that Grice deeply influenced his work.

Robert Paul