[lit-ideas] Re: Some Statistics on Non-English Speakers in US

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:02:08 -0400

EY: *Ten percent* of the Spanish-speaking population of the USA do not speak English at all, according to the Census stats. -EY

Judy: I don't know what to say about this. I suppose I'd want to know how many of them were a) recent immigrants b) very young c) older, weren't educated in the US.

EY: The Census stats don't provide that information. I know they don't count illegal immigrants, but only those legal residents who respond to the Census. Therefore one should state:

*Ten percent* of the LEGALLY RESIDENT Spanish-speaking population of the USA do not speak English at all. The other millions aren't assessed.

"Parasitic" is the wrong word, written in haste. You are right to correct me on this, but we should come up with an alternative word.

How would you describe people who never add to the economic health of society but only take goods and services from it? (Yeah, I know, "babies.") Would "nonproductive" suffice?