[lit-ideas] Re: Some Gettier examples

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:44:46 +0100

Example 3It's not the everydayness but the logical ineptitude: they fall
into the category of "logic-chopping" e.g. the belief that would be true is
not identical with the belief actually held, even though it may be
otherwise equivalent up to a point of specificity or for some other
purposes. E.g. the belief *that Y* is red-headed and in Paris is not
identical with "There is *some person* who is red-headed and in Paris",
even though the latter can be deduced from the former; and when Y is not in
Paris the latter belief can only be true because some *other person than Y* is
red-headed and in Paris - so it is a logical error to think that, where one
believes the latter because one believes the former, and the former is
false, that we nevertheless can have JTB in the latter merely because the
latter proves true on a basis entirely outside our knowledge. We may as
well say we can have JTB in anything that is true even though our grounds
for its truth are mistaken: but this would strip JTB down into mere TB.

*Well, and that is more or less the point I wanted to make. The 'examples'
were made up by me, but if you compare with the first actual Gettier
example, the case is precisely the same.

O.K.