[lit-ideas] Re: Socratic Congress

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:58:06 -0230

I'm not quite sure on the scope of the agreement here between Robert and
myself.
Kant was quite clear in his view that all rational agents can recognize what
their obligations are to others and themselves. We all, this is to say, have
the capacity to do the morally right thing. (Whether we have cultivated the
disposition to actually *act* on such recognition is a different story, as is
the question of whether we do the right thing for the right reason, from the
right motive. As such, Kant's views on the will (Wilkur) are somewhat more
miserly in their democratic allowances.

To expand:  I doubt that Kant believed that we all can justify what we take to
be morally right judgement and action (maxims) in epistemically required terms.
The 4 features of moral impermissibility require instruction and practise, and
Kant was quite clear that the path towards a good will - ie., one that assesses
its maxims via universalizability - cannot be successfully travelled unaided.

So on my reading of Kant, acting and willing in accordance with the right is to
be differentiated from acting and willing performed from obligations endorsed
as reasons for judgement and action. On this account, the bare
assertion, belief or intuition that a course of action is right or wrong does
not in itself constitute grounds of justification and, as such, is not
representative of genuine moral worth. Moreover, to privilege certain
assertions, beliefs or intuitions as being epistemically criterial within moral
deliberation and judgement, without argument, as Robert does, is not a
defensible posture to take.

But it should be said that Robert's views are very much in keeping with an
Aristotelian conception of morality that privileges the norms and principles of
one's own polis and habitus on criteria of "the good life," "the authentic
life," "the virtuous life." And this has definite value to be sure. The
specific kind of value involved must remain a topic for another occasion,
should anyone be interested.

Walter O
MUN

P.S. Chto znachet "pons asinorum"?