[lit-ideas] Re: Sociobiology and Ethics

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 23:39:46 -0500

No, you're quite right. I meant intuitionism, but wrote institutionism, and didn't even spell THAT right either. It's this book, I tell you. I've been reading it for hours and hour and hours...I'm now on the section where Wilson is "looking to the future". I think I need to sleep.

Erin
Toronto

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

Erin says:

What is "ethical institutioniasm", you ask?

It's "the belief that...

THE MIND HAS A DIRECT AWARENESS OF TRUE RIGHT AND WRONG THAT IT CAN
FORMULIZE BY LOGIC AND TRANSLATE INTO RULES OF SOCIAL ACTION.

I wonder if there really is such a word as 'institutianism'? Nobody seems to
have heard of it. I found a reference to 'institutionism' in a letter to the
editor in The Journal of Asian Studies, where the writer refers to
'Institutionism,' and adds 'whatever that may mean.'

Perhaps Wilson meant Intuitionism, which is very roughly the view that various
moral qualities--features of actions, and the like--are somehow apprehended
immediately through 'intuition,' and are not known through discursive
reasoning. G. E. Moore is sometimes accused of being an Intuitionist, as are
Henry Sidgwick and H. A. Prichard. But none of them thinks that all of the
stuff Wilson mentions in the sentence Erin has capitalized can be apprehended
immediately through intuition. Maybe there's another word, 'institutionalism'
which refers to an actual view held by somebody. But I'm too tired to look it
up.

Sociobiology, it's now been discovered, was written by a Colony of wasps in Los
Gatos, California.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute

Erin