[lit-ideas] Sociobiology and Ethics

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:45:46 -0500

So I'm reading Edward Wilson's "Sociobiology: The New Synthesis". I just now started the section on ethics. The opening line is: "Scientists and humanists should consider together the possibility that the time has come for ethics to be removed temporarily from the hands of philosophers and biologicized". Fine.

Wilson then goes on to day: "The subject at present consists of several oddly disjunct conceptualizations. the first is "ethical institutionism"".

What is "ethical institutioniasm", you ask?

It's "the belief that...

THE MIND HAS A DIRECT AWARENESS OF TRUE RIGHT AND WRONG THAT IT CAN FORMULIZE BY LOGIC AND TRANSLATE INTO RULES OF SOCIAL ACTION.

Is it just me... or...?

Erin
Toronto