[lit-ideas] Re: SoS-Chapter 2, Moral Frameworks

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:54:27 -0500

Maybe I'm missing a lot, but I keep waiting for Taylor to say something new.
The framework, ie, the value system wherein or whereby we find our
self-identity is nothing more than the world we're born into -- or so I take
it.  It seems no different than the Heideggerian always-already world from
which and in which and through which we interpret the world and ourselves.
Apostasy is a rare occurrence among human beings.  That all human beings work
within a value system, usually the one given them by their immediate culture,
doesn't surprise me as it seems to surprise Taylor -- or maybe it doesn't
surprise him, maybe he's just making sure that we understand this ground on
which he builds his castle.  Maybe he's going to get into the question that
interests me, how is change possible?  What causes people to shift their moral
perspectives, even if ever so slightly.  I suspect it's good old pragmatism.
We'll see.

Mike Geary
Never sure I didn't miss something.
Or as Rumsfeld would have it: I don't know what I don't know that I don't know.