[lit-ideas] Re: Snow is white, and Grass is green (Collected Papers by Tarski)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:09:58 EST

Ritchie:

"Well no, because it's not growing all the time. Annual  grasses-- native to
America--re-seed. Perennial grasses go dormant in the winter and dry up in the
summer. When the grasses are growing  they may be green, but at other times
other colors--brown, or seed  color-- apply."

--- What an interesting comment.

I hadn't thought about that. Would you give me the scientific (names)  for at
least one variety of _each_.

I don't know Polish, so I don't know which sentence Tarski  used.

I don't think "Grass is green" is analytic in Polish or  German.

You are right that it may _not_ be analytic in English  either, but perhaps
as applied to the perennial variety would?

I would think that if 'green' derives from 'growing' then  it has nothing
etymologically speaking to do with waves on the spectrum (i.e..  green *qua*
colour, and thus it would not compare to your 'brown', or 'seed  colour').

Borges was amused that "gringo" (South American -- or  south-of-the-border
for "American") is supposed to derive from 'green grow the  rushes, o" -- a
Scots ballad! But I disagree and think otherwise -- "Italians"  are called
'gringos' in Argentina.

In Spanish, grass is green is possibly not analytic  either.

There are like 50 words to say 'grass' -- and one of them  means "Mary Joan"
-- aka The Green Lady.

Green and White, the basic colours. Ricky Martin  has a song on "The White
Lady" which apparently refers to  Ko-Kaine.

And as Ramos says, what _is_ white.

Water is not white, but colourless, rather. -- But can an object be
colourless. (In Spanish, 'incolora').

Geary should know, but I felt slightly disappointed when he crossed
Lacedaimonia from his map just because the water was slightly dark.

This relates to the Spartans and their idea of 'dirt'.

In a previous quote -- and I know, there are so many of them, that it's
difficult -- even for me as a writer! -- to keep track, I mentioned how Paris
laconized
Helen (performed anal intercourse, and claimed to have 'invented' it) and
how Plato -- I will have to re-read his "Nomoi" -- referred to the Spartans  as

       "altogether dirty"

-- like the Spartan water.

But as long as they were the most beautiful, who cares. Put Helena in a
jacuzzi and you get the dirt from her. And think of it, if ALL Spartans are
DIRTY, perhaps washing them is part of what Plato would call 'erotic'  process.

If Laconic means 'verbal jejunity', what is the difference, Geary, between
Laconia, and Lacedaimonia?

Cheers,

JL

products.