[lit-ideas] Re: Slang

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:17:10 +0100

Wednesday, June 2, 2004, 9:53:01 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

DR> So which came first, do you think, hostility to the "supersized Rubens"
DR> habitus, or some weird intolerance of pears' form?

I was wondering that too! I suspect "pear-shaped" meaning "gone wrong"
post-dates "pear-shaped women".

DR>  And is the paradiscial
DR> apple lurking somewhere in the background?

It's now in the foreground, but it's the Satanic apple: apple-shaped
women are less healthy than pear-shaped ones. (According to medical
opinion and our media.)  That irritates me as I waa pear-shaped, am
now apple.

--
Best regards,
 Judy                            mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx