[lit-ideas] Re: Slang

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:53:01 -0700

on 6/2/04 12:06 PM, Judy Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wednesday, June 2, 2004, 7:49:05 PM, David Ritchie wrote:
>

> DR> Our news-piper today reports that sixty four percent (not sixty five,
> mind)
> DR> of American women are "pear-shaped."
>
> DR> Have you ever heard the term applied to British women?
>

> Yes -- frequently.

So which came first, do you think, hostility to the "supersized Rubens"
habitus, or some weird intolerance of pears' form?  And is the paradiscial
apple lurking somewhere in the background?

In a just world, "I'm absolutely gutted," would mean, "I have drunk too much
beer and have thus developed the approximate shape of a yellow squash, a
form that not everyone may find charming."  It doesn't.

Peasant, as Elizabeth 1 passes, "Lumme, she's a bit pear shaped, isn't she.
Oooh, and look at his puffed up hips!"
Elizabeth 1, "Take this man to the swordsman and make him more pear shaped
by removing about a foot from his shoulders."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon