[lit-ideas] Simple Simon, MA (Oxon) (failed), etc.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:55:18 EDT

For the record, 'simple' under "Log." in OED:

1620 T. GRANGER Div. Logike 12 Artificiall Argument is either..simple, or
comparate. The simple is considered simply, and absolutely without
comparison.  1689 LOCKE Hum. Und. II. ii. §2 The simple ideas, the materials of
all
our  knowledge, are suggested..only by..sensation and reflection. 1697 tr.
Burgersdicius' Logic I. i. 2 Themes simple are those which are understood
without a composition or complexion of notions. Ibid. xxvii. 109 Simple
enunciation is that which cannot be resolved into more. 1704 NORRIS Ideal World
II. iii. 139 That apprehension or perception, which is rightly said to be
simple, because it rests in the pure view of things as they are. 1724 WATTS
Logic 36 That idea, which represents one particular determinate thing to me,
is  called a singular idea, whether it be simple, or complex, or compound.
1846 MILL  Logic I. iv. §3. 108 A simple proposition is that in which one
predicate is  affirmed or denied of one subject. 1864 BOWEN Logic v. 127 In
respect to the  Relation of the Predicate to the Subject, Judgments are
divided into simple or  absolute, and conditional.

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!