[lit-ideas] Re: Simone Weil (Was: Kataphatic, Negative and Apophatic Theology)

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:46:10 EDT

The thing about Gravity and Grace is that it is her journaling, published
posthumously.  If I can figure out where my copy is I'll post some quotes I
liked a little better than those you chose <g>.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Simone Weil (Was:
Kataphatic, Negative and Apophatic  Theology)  Date: 8/6/2004 10:53:38 AM
Central
Daylight Time  From: _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speaking of Simone Weil, I read Gravity and  Grace.  It was one of those
books I read where, for the most part, I  didn't have even the slightest clue
what was going on.  For example,  here are some random aphorisms.  Can anyone
tell me what any of these  mean?

Erin
Toronto

"All the natural movements of the  soul are controlled by laws of gravity
analogous to those of physical  gravity.  Grace is the only exception."

"Gravity.  Generally,  what we expect of others depends on the effect of
gravity upon ourselves,  what we receive from them depends on the effect of
gravity upon them.   Sometimes, (by chance) the two coincide, often they do
not."

"Lear, a  tragedy of gravity.  Everything we call base is a phenomenon due  to
gravity.  Moreover, the world baseness is an indication of this  fact."

"To come down by a movement in which gravity plays no part...  Gravity makes
things come down, wings make them rise:  What wings raised  to the second
power can make things come down without weight?"

"To  lower oneself is to rise in the domain of moral gravity.  Moral  gravity
makes us fall towards the heights."