[lit-ideas] Re: Simone Weil

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:19:29 -0400

>Again like R. Paul, I think Weil is just using terminology loosely to
>allude to Nicolas of Cusa's
>idea of the *coincidentia oppositorum*.

That very thought crossed my so-called mind while eating my porridge this
morning. I had sat down a little late because of a cat immergency and I
chalked the occurence of this random thought up to the fact that the
temperature wasn't "just right" because I don't even know how to pronounce
Latin words and it came out sort of like "coinkidinka positronia" and
suddenly I had an inkling I had serendipitously stumbled on a new meson. I
was going to name it "potamia", but that sounded too quaint. "Bladderdash"
my mind thought as I ran to the restroom and relieved my curiosity. There
were particles EVERYWHERE, wondering allowed me to hear them wondering
aloud if they were going to be positive or somewhat negative. As they
scattered, I grabbed the towel rail for security and stared in the mirror
to re-assure myself that I was still "there" and one single, left-behind
particle began talking to me. Now, when I say "talking" you know what I
mean. Not actually talking, but I intuited what she was saying.

"Hey up there, stop staring and listen to me. I have some vital information
to share with you." All of a sudden some cool jazz/fusion started to wash
over me in a wave/partical duality effect. Aspect would have been proud
because I felt what I though the pulses and the interference nodes
simultaneously until I realized someone was throwing water on me to knock
me out of this stupor. At this moment, I stepped forward and began to fall
down the stairs. As I fell, (who knows why) I saw in my peripheral vision,
my cat holding a taut string across the first stair. I swear he had a smile
on his face, but I'm anthropomorphizing again. He obviously wanted me dead
so HE could take the credit for my scientific discovery. I showed him
though. My non-belief in gravity alleviated the gravity of the situation
and I was prone in mid-air as if frozen on pause. At this moment, my cat,
agog, dropped the string and it immediately recoiled into its 27
dimensional arrangement as dog planned it. Now, I'm not saying that I
defied gravity, but I certainly made it question its veracity for a few
milliseconds. And I definitely turned agog a lesson. Don't fuck with a
macho scientist when he's working.

recovered with minimal bruising and seriously contemplating a 4 hour drive
to Toronto.